The photo above is that of a Koi (Japanese carp). This one is a Goromo - one of the many different varieties of Koi . One of my first and certainly not my last.


Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pond Location – My Third Pond

I have the opportunity to built my current and third Koi pond when I sold my corner terrace house and bought a 10-year old detached house in early 2007. I bought the house with the intention to extend the building structure to create additional bedrooms and living space for my family and of course, a new Koi pond!

The plot of land for the house is a longish, rectangular shape, 10m x 50m in size. I have appreciated the benefits of locating the koi pond close to the living areas of the house from my second pond. Hence this is a key consideration in the design of the layout  for the new building and location and shape for my new Koi pond.

We decided to locate the new pond next to my dining room and have it integrated into the building structure. This means the pond design has to be practically rectangular or squarish in shape, i.e. a formal pond.

 koi pond located close to dining room of house

The dining room is designed with glass folding doors on one side and glass sliding doors on another side which can be opened to bring the “outdoors” into the house. A water feature is constructed next to the dining room. It serves as a water return from the filter. Water from the return pump located in the filter comes out of a venturi pipe and also a large brown pot. Water coming out the pot signifies “overflowing abundance” which is a good feng-shui feature. It also provides the soothing sound of trickling water. For the koi, it provides the needed aeration.

P1000167

A wooden bridge is laid over the pond to link the Dining room to a new “Entertainment room” on the other side of the pond. The pond circles around the Entertainment room. This creates the illusion that the Entertainment room is “floating” on the pond or some may say sunken into the pond.

wooden Bridge over koi pond

P1000161

 

My water garden is at the back of the house, and can be viewed from the Entertainment room. It houses some small Koi and water lilies. This part of the pond (water garden) is physically separated from the main Koi pond, although they share the same biological filter. Large Koi eats water lily and will tends to dig at the soil and muddied the water!

lily pond

No comments:

Post a Comment