The photo above is that of a Koi (Japanese carp). This one is a Goromo - one of the many different varieties of Koi . One of my first and certainly not my last.


Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Recommended Book for Koi keepers – Koi Kichi

 

Koi KichiWhen I was starting on my Koi hobby and planning to build my first pond back in 1995, I did research on the internet and read/browse through many Koi books in the bookstores and library.

I came across this book by Peter Waddington, who is a Koi “Crazy” hobbyist with 20 years of experience, and lives in the UK. Although it was pricey, I decided to buy this book for keeps as the content within was exactly what a budding Koi hobbyist would need and this book was far better than the various cheaper Koi books at the local bookstores.

The book has 8 “sub-books” within, called Book One to Book Eight.

Book One provides background information of origin of Koi and their development.

Book Two provides good information on what are Koi’s environmental needs and what is involved in the Koi hobby.

Book Three is all about how to build a ‘proper’ Koi pond system. It describes various filtration systems, and also pond maintenance. The many photos of Koi ponds and drawings of filtration systems in the book are very interesting as it gives me ideas of what I should or should not include in the layout and design for my own Koi pond.

Book Four is all about the Koi appreciation and Koi hobby in general. Drawings to describe Koi varieties, patterns and classifications are included.  Photographs of show-grade Koi to illustrate traits of a good quality Koi are useful when you are ready to buy your first Koi.

Book Five describes Koi caring, feeding, diseases and medications.

Book Six describes how Koi breeders in Japan breed Koi and an amusing story of Peter’s attempts to breed Koi at home.

Book Seven and Eight provides some background of famous Koi breeders in Japan and how they conduct their business. Koi hobbyist would find this interesting later when they become serious in their hobby and are interested in keeping show-grade Koi, understanding their bloodlines and planning to visit Japan on a Koi shopping spree.

This excellent book was first published in 1995 and it was not available on the local bookstore then (and now as well!) so I bought mine through mail order. My copy came with a hardcover.

Koi Kichi (Paperback Edition) is available through Amazon.com now.

No comments:

Post a Comment