The photo above is that of a Koi (Japanese carp). This one is a Goromo - one of the many different varieties of Koi . One of my first and certainly not my last.


Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Submersible Pumps for Koi ponds

The pump is a key component in any Koi pond. In my first pond, I was using the following pumps, with the following ratings and specifications.

Nova 600, 800 W, 220V, 3.4 A, 16 cubic m/hr. Power consumption per month = 584 KWH

Nova 200, 350 W, 220V, 1.5 A, 12 cubic m/hr. Power consumption per month = 250 KWH.

Although my filter was fitted with 2 pumps, one with return to the waterfall and the other returning through the venturi pumps, I typically only turned on only one pump as it was enough to maintain a good circulation and provided enough aeration for my 7 cubic meter pond. Another Nova 200 serves as a drain pump.

For my second pond, I continued to use the Nova pumps but only using the Nova 200 as it was more efficient. Most of the time, two pumps are in operation for my 13 cubic meter pond. Another Nova 200, with an automatic cut-off feature, serves as a drain pump.  The automatic cut-off feature stops the pump once the chamber is empty of water.

The Nova pumps typically lasted about between 2 to 3 years, with almost non-stop operation. When the pump fails, my circuit breaker will trip.  Hence I suspect the failure is caused by a breach of the seal or gasket with moisture getting into the electrical motor and/or there is earth leakage current.

In my current pond, I am using the Tsurumi pumps with the following ratings and specifications. 

Tsurumi Model 40PUS1.5S, 150W, 220V, 1.6A, 11.4 cubic m/hr.

These Tsurumi pumps give better energy efficiency. Two pumps are running non-stop with one return through 3 venturi pipes and one return to a water feature and one venturi pipe. A third pump with auto cut-off feature serves as a drain pump for the waste chamber .  They are now about 2 years old, running since Jan 2008. I also have a spare pump in my house for rapid replacement should any of the above fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment