The photo above is that of a Koi (Japanese carp). This one is a Goromo - one of the many different varieties of Koi . One of my first and certainly not my last.


Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fertiliser for Water Lilies

My water lilies have stopped flowering in during the rainy monsoon season from October to January. Now the weather is turning warmer, with more days of sunny skies. These are ideal conditions for my water lilies to bloom as water lilies needs many hours of direct sunlight to thrive. In fact, one pot is starting to flower almost daily again.

Now is the time to feed the plants with fertiliser and help in growing new leaves and also for them to flower more. I am using the fertilisers in tablet form and exported from Thailand, where plentiful of lotus and water lilies grows. These tablets are used for planting Lotus (according to the packaging) but can be used for water lilies as well.

Fertiliser tablet for water plants

I push them into the soil, about 2 inches finger deep, using my finger. One to two tablets per pot should suffice. Repeat this every month, until the monsoon seasons starts again and the plant stops flowering due to less sunlight.

I used to buy the fertiliser tablets from a plant nursery near my house but for some strange reason, the owner refuse  to sell them when I tried to buy them last year. “They are now not for sale,  for my own use only”, so he says. I was looking around for other sources locally.  I finally manage to get someone I know, who is a landscape designer  and a Thai national, to buy them direct from Thailand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment