The photo above is that of a Koi (Japanese carp). This one is a Goromo - one of the many different varieties of Koi . One of my first and certainly not my last.


Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wooden Decking for Koi Pond Filter

The wooden decking that covers the filter of my third pond is rotting! And they are only about 3 years old. I am not sure why this happens. I think it could be that the wood is not properly treated and painted. Also the prolonged rainy weather over the last year could have played a role. Another factor could be that the wood used is not Balau wood as specified.

The recommended wood material for making the Koi pond decking or any outdoor furniture in South East Asia would be the Chengal or the Balau wood. Chengal wood is better but more expensive, so I have agreed with my contractor to use Balau wood instead.

The wooden decking in my previous pond was much more durable. No signs of rotting even after two to three years in the sun and rain.  The material used for that pond decking was Chengal wood, AND the wood planks was painted with Hickson paint before and after installation AND held together using stainless steel nails.

I am going to make sure that my new filter decking is done properly this time….if and when I replace it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment