The photo above is that of a Koi (Japanese carp). This one is a Goromo - one of the many different varieties of Koi . One of my first and certainly not my last.


Search This Blog

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Simple Surface Skimmer for Koi pond

Every pond ought to have a way to remove floating debris from the water surface. Dust, oil, protein scum, and small floating debris (insects, dead leaves) can be removed with a surface skimmer device.

The following picture shows the simple surface skimmer I used for my 3 ponds. I am using a gravity-fed filtration system. This skimmer pipe leads to the first chamber of my biological filter system. Alternatively, you may want to link this pipe to the second chamber to provide faster water flow since the water level in the second chamber is slightly lower than the first (due to gravity effects and water flow resistance between the first and second chamber).

 Simple Surface Skimmer for Koi pond lcated at corner Simple Surface Skimmer for Koi pond

The construction is simple. A 75 mm or 4 inch diameter PVC pipe that protrudes slightly above the water surface. Slots are cut to allow surface water to enter the pipe.  In my case, the slots are a little too big and my floating koi pellets are entering the skimmer through them. Hence I need to add a netting to solve this problem. Don’t make the same mistake. Cut narrower slots and have more of them around the pipe.

The skimmer is best located at a corner of the pond, near your filter. It would be best if you are also using venturi pipes for aeration and  have position your venturi pipes in such a way as to have water circulation around your pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment