The photo above is that of a Koi (Japanese carp). This one is a Goromo - one of the many different varieties of Koi . One of my first and certainly not my last.


Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Koi Spawn in my pond?

The population of small fishes in my lily pond is increasing and increasing. I spotted some additional baby fishes amongst the comet goldfishes that spawn a few months back. This time, the new babies looks like Koi!

They are still quite small so it is high to tell. In terms of coloration, 2 of them shows signs of metallic ogon coloration, one even with slight gin-rin coloration. Also the body shape is slimmer, with larger head compared to body size and they swim faster. So I think they are not goldfishes.  I have only 2 Koi in my lily pond amongst the comets. One shiro utsuri and one platinum ogon. These are likely their off-springs. I will try to take some photos when I have some free time at home next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment