The photo above is that of a Koi (Japanese carp). This one is a Goromo - one of the many different varieties of Koi . One of my first and certainly not my last.


Search This Blog

Friday, July 9, 2010

Those babies are Koi

My koi actually did spawn in my lilies pond.  The parents are a Shiro Utsuri  (White koi with black markings) and a Platinum Ogon (Plain, metallic white colour koi). I have since removed them from my lily pond as it is rather overcrowded now.

There are 4 surviving baby koi, now measuring about 10 cm. There is a Shiro Muji (totally white, non metallic), a Gin-Rin orange Ogon (metallic orange colour Koi), Gin-Rin Platinum Ogon (metallic white colour) and a Platinum Ogon. Gin-Rin koi has some scales on the back that are shiny, like diamonds glittering in the sun. Here are some photos of the young koi among the comets goldfishes.

DSC_5403 DSC_5402

DSC_5397

The comets are multiplying like crazy. There must be several generations of colourful comets in my lily pond now.  The original parents are just 4 plain-coloured, pink comets. It is amazing how the dormant colour genes in the parents show up in the off-springs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment