The photo above is that of a Koi (Japanese carp). This one is a Goromo - one of the many different varieties of Koi . One of my first and certainly not my last.


Search This Blog

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Water Lily blooming – Spring is in the air!

 

Most people would tell you it is summer all year round in Singapore.  Well, not exactly true when it comes to the water lilies in my house.

I noticed that my water lilies would not bloom during the “winter” months of November to February even though it is hot and sunny in Singapore all year round. My lily pond is located right next to my house, on the North Eastern side. So, during this time of year, the hours of direct sun is probably lesser as the house would shade the pond a little bit more.

My water lilies started to bloom again last month. I noticed the direction of the sun has shifted a bit because Singapore is slightly north of the equator and the pond is getting a bit more direct sun each day. Hence the trigger for the plant to flower.

LilyApril2012
I really like this large flower. As one fades, another would emerged from the water to replace it.

So, there is still signs of spring in Singapore too.

No comments:

Post a Comment