The photo above is that of a Koi (Japanese carp). This one is a Goromo - one of the many different varieties of Koi . One of my first and certainly not my last.


Search This Blog

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Water plants co-existing with large fishes in a Koi pond

 

Many have wondered if it is possible for aquatic plants to co-exist with large Koi. I saw a good example of how water plants can co-exist with large Koi when I visited Raffles Junior College recently. There is a large, beautifully constructed and well-maintained biodiversity pond located within the campus. There are large carps, catfishes in the well planted pond. Here are some photos.

Biodiversity pond at the Raffles Junior College
Biodiversity pond at the Raffles Junior College
 
Boardwalk to allow you to get up close to the plants
Boardwalk to allow you to get up close to the plants.
 
Underwater fencing to keep the large Koi out from the plant area
Underwater fencing to keep the large Koi out from the plant area



Large Koi will naturally treat any plants in the pond as a food source. To protect the plants, some barriers would be needed.

In this case, a steel fencing submerged in the water provides the barrier but it is not too attractive. Would be better to coat this steel mesh with black paint.
Nettings to protect the roots of the floating water lettuce
Nettings to protect the roots of the floating water lettuce

Floating plants, like the water lettuce would not survived if their dedicate root systems are left unprotected. In this case, black plastic mesh is used to provide all-round defence from the fishes.

Solar powered lights Venturi for aeration
The pond also features solar-power lights, which lines the boardwalk. Notice the red dragonfly resting on it? Venturi system to aerate the pond – same as the system I used in my 3 ponds. This is in addition to the water fall
lilies in submerged pots IMG_1377
Water lilies in submerged pots  

5 comments:

  1. I have been interested in this for some time, the biggest resilient plants I have found that do not require protection include:

    paperbark - Melaleuca leucadendron i think
    swamp cypress - google images in "retiro park" pond
    river sheoak - Casuarina cunninghamiana

    also iris become huge, and various grasses thrive and can be cultivated into floating islands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    My water lilies and lotus dont last in my koi pond and they are not up-rooted. They simply die. Can anyone comments on this
    Nicodemus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe water lilies need full sun to thrive and flower. My water lilies grow well and flowers only during those months where they receive more sunlight in my pond. Besides light, you may have to fertilise them. See my other blog post http://my3ponds.blogspot.sg/2011/03/fertiliser-for-water-lilies.html

      Delete