The photo above is that of a Koi (Japanese carp). This one is a Goromo - one of the many different varieties of Koi . One of my first and certainly not my last.


Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Plants for Koi Pond– Thalia Geniculata

 

I have always wanted to get this plant for my Koi pond but somehow could not find it for sale in the nurseries in my neighbourhood. I saw this plant at the biodiversity pond in a local education institution, Raffles Junior College. This plant is also known as the Alligator Flag – “derived from the fact that the plant can be used to alert one to the presence of an alligator as it swims past this aquatic plant and rustle the leaves.”  - so says the sign posted at the biodiversity pond.

This is quite a tall plant, with broad leaves like those of the heliconia and purple flowers hanging down like mini-bells from a curved stalk. This would be a good plant to grow in pots by the edge of a large pond. Being tall, it can form the backdrop of a pond and provide some shade for the Koi.

Thalia Geniculate at Raffles Junior College
Thalia Geniculata at biodiversity pond in Raffles Junior College
 
 
Alligator Flag flowers of thalia geniculata
   

A few weeks later, I chance upon this plant again when I visited a friend who had them growing out of a large water filled earthen pot in his roof garden.  He told me he bought them from a local nursery. So it is available locally but have to know where to look!

I will consider getting this plant for a water garden or Koi pond, when grown in pots around the pond’s edge. It can even be displayed as a specimen plant in the middle of a large pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment